Friday, November 13, 2009

How do you prune a vine (rhododendron) that has reached the top of the trellis?

I want the plant to now bush out on the trellis, but it only appears to get new shoots at the top when I prune. I really don't want it growing further up as there isn't anything for it to lean on. Pls advise. thanks in advance.

How do you prune a vine (rhododendron) that has reached the top of the trellis?
I think you must be mistaken about the name of the vine. Rhododendrons are bushes, not vines.





But, to generically address perennial vines, for the most part you want to hack them back pretty aggressively, down to a foot or two high at the most. They will branch out from the point you cut them and come back even stronger than before. I have many different vines in my yard including several different clematis, a couple of trumpet vines, two different honeysuckles, virginia creeper, and akibia, and my advice works for all of those.

children boots

No comments:

Post a Comment